Frequently Asked Questions
Who is the Herring Queen apartment suitable for?
- Families, couples and small groups of friends would enjoy a holiday in this apartment.
Is it suitable for disabled guests?
- That would depend on the disability- while with the stairs it is not suitable for wheelchairs we have had guests with walking difficulties who can cope with the stairs without problems. If you can manage a flight of stairs at home you should be fine in the Herring Queen. Please look at our Access page for further information.
What is there for children to do?
- Please see our "no cost days out page"! We have children ourselves from 3 to 17 and all of them love the freedom of Eyemouth - they can safetly go the shops or beach on their own. Children love fishing and crabbing and searching in rock pools. There are good play areas within minutes walk and an excellent leisure centre. Gunsgreen House with its smuggling past and the local musemns are worth a visit on a rainy day.The apartment itself offers a PS 2 with lots of games, DVDs, board games, lots of toys and even a portable DVD player for taking to bed!
Are there any additional costs?
- No none whatsoever however please bring your own towels.
Do I need a car?
- Absolutely not! One of the things we like ourselves about staying in the Herri ng Queen is that we park our car whjen we arrive and never use it again until its time to leave! Everything you could need is within easy- and flat!- walking distance!
Do you allow smoking?
Do you allow pets?
- Yes we are happy for your dog or cat to accompany you on holiday- however we do need to know in advance and dogs are not allowed upstairs or on furniture.
What are the pubs, cafes and resturants like?
- We have found them all to be reasonably priced and serving excellent food- all homemade too. The icecream and fish and chips deserve a special mention- we simply have not tasted better anywhere!
Will I really see the seals?
- We have never stayed in the apartment without seeing the seals from the windows at sometime during our stay.
Are there boat trips?
- Yes during the Summer there are daily boat trips for fishing or sightseeing, there is even a glass bottomed boat. Out of season you can hire your own boat for the day.
Whats the surroundings like?
- Eyemouth itself is a quaint little fishing village with enough shops for all your needs(really very good bakers and butchers) and a supermarket. It also has a couple of musemns, an excellent leisure centre and a ten pin bowling alley. With the beach and glorious cliff walks you could easily spend a week without moving from Eyemouth- or driving your car! However Northumberland is 5 miles down the coast and offers outstanding beaches with white sands and backdrops of ancient castles. Berwick upon Tweed offers castle wall walks and a great market and selection of shops. Then of course there is the borders to explore with its rolling hills fasinating history of abbeys and castles and wonderful award winning pubs.
Where can I access my emails?
- The apartment has full wifi take your lap top with you.
What do I have to do when leaving the apartment?
- From the entry and leaving times you will see that we only have 5 hours to completely clean the apartment therefore it is really essential firstly that you leave at 11am or before abnd secondly that you leave the apartment more or less as found. If you could strip the used beds and start a washing that would be much appreciated.